A dance class always starts with a yoga session
to warm up and keep the body stronger and more flexible. The
student starts by learning step by step all the different Adavus (technical dance
units). Then, the student discovers the different rythms and the
language of the Mudras (hand gestures). Slowly, he/she learns some very
simple and short stories, and can later enjoy beautiful technical and abhynaya (drama part
of the dance) choregraphies. Regular practice is necessary.
Benefits for the body and the mind
- Increases the strength of the body: back, shoulders, arms, legs...
- Improves flexibility, stamina and balance of the body
- Helps concentration and mental focus
- Increases the brain memory and bipolarity
- Gives a fascinating approach to the different rhythms of the
- Develops drama qualities: body language, gestures,
facial expressions, breathing techniques
- Gives grace and artistic sensibility
- Offers spirituality and joy for each day of life
private dance studio
Who can dance?
Bharata natyam is an art with an extraordinary longevity:
dancers can start from 5 years old and keep dancing till 60 or
more. All students are welcome: children and adults,
beginners and advanced, from all different cultures. Helena teaches
individually or within small groups, always in a full
respect of the Bharata natyam tradition.